2023 MAR 22
Environment and Ecology > Biodiversity > Species in news
Why in news?
- A report has suggested that the SARS-CoV-2 virus could have originated in raccoon dogs which were sold illegally at the Wuhan (China) wet market.
About Racoon Dogs:
- Raccoon dogs are neither dogs nor raccoons. They belong to the canid family and are closely related to foxes.
- They are the only canids that hibernate during the winter.
- They are omnivores and relish food sources such as rodents and berries
- Raccoon dogs are originally from East Asia and are commonly found in parts of China, Korea and Japan, where they are known as tanuki.
- They are also found in Europe, where they were first brought in by fur traders in the 1920s.
- Today, raccoon dogs are considered to be a threat to the local ecosystem in Europe and an EU report declared them “one of the most successful alien carnivores in Europe”.
With reference to ‘Racoon Dogs’, consider the following statements:
1. They hibernate during the winter
2. They endemic to Himalayan foothills
Which of the statements given above is/are correct?
(a) 1 only
(b) 2 only
(c) Both 1 and 2
(d) Neither 1 nor 2