Geography > Places in news > Places in news
Why in news?
- Australia sends troops to the Solomon Islands, where anti-government protesters took to the streets in the capital, Honiara, for a second day running in defiance of a lockdown order.
About Solomon Islands:
- Is a sovereign country consisting of six major islands and over 900 smaller islands in Melanesia.
- Melanesia is a subregion of Oceania in the southwestern Pacific Ocean
- Its capital, Honiara, is located on the largest island, Guadalcanal
- Archipelago of mountains, heavily forested volcanic islands (some active) and few low lying coral atolls
- In 2019, a Beijing-based company which has close ties to the Chinese Communist Party has secured exclusive development rights for the entire island of Tulagi and its surroundings.
- Tulagi is an island within the Solomon Islands
- The Solomons cut ties to Taiwan and allied with Beijing just a few days before the Tulagi deal
- The Solomon Islands are located directly between Australia and the U.S. and was the site of fierce battles during World War II.
- Solomon Islands campaign (1942–1945) saw fierce fighting between the United States, Commonwealth forces and the Empire of Japan.
Consider the following pairs:
Places in news : Region
1.Solomon Islands : Pacific
2. Kiribati : Indian Ocean
3.Sicily : Mediterranean Sea
Which of the pairs given above is/are correct?
(a) 1 and 2 only
(b) 2 only
(c) 2 and 3 only
(d) 1 and 3 only