2021 MAR 16
Geography > Places in news > Places in news
- Somalia, officially the Federal Republic of Somalia is a sovereign country located in the Horn of Africa.
- It is bordered by Ethiopia to the west, the Gulf of Aden to the north, the Indian ocean to the east, and Kenya to the southwest.
- The country claims a border with Djibouti through the disputed territory of Somaliland.
- Somalia has the longest coastline on Africa's mainland.
- Somalia has hardly been stable since the fall of Dictator Mohamed Siad Barre in 1991.
- With different clans and militia groups vying for influence and power, the country plunged into a cyclical civil strife.
- Northern Somalia is now de facto divided up among the autonomous regions of Puntland (which considers itself an autonomous state) and Somaliland (a self-declared but unrecognized sovereign state).
- The U.S. sent troops in in 1992 as part of an international humanitarian and peacekeeping mission, but it pulled out of the country in 1994 after 18 American soldiers were killed in the ‘Black Hawk Down’ incident.
Puntland region which sometimes occurs in news is located at?
Answer to the Prelims Question