United for Biodiversity
Environment and Ecology > Biodiversity > Organisations
Why in News?
- The European Commission (EC) has launched the ‘United for Biodiversity’ coalition.
- It was launched on World Wildlife Day 2020- 3rd March.
About ‘United for Biodiversity’
- The coalition is made up of zoos, aquariums, botanical gardens, national parks, and natural history and science museums from around the world.
- The coalition offers the opportunity for all such institutions to “join forces and boost public awareness about the nature crisis, ahead of the crucial COP-15 of the Convention on Biological Diversity in Kunming, China in October 2020.
- The coalition adopted a common pledge, citing the Intergovernmental Platform on Biodiversity and Ecosystem Services (IPBES) Global Assessment finding that one million species were already at risk of extinction, and appeals to visitors to each of their institutions to “raise their voice for nature.”
Q. ‘United for Biodiversity’ which sometimes occurs in news was launched by which among the following?
Answer to the Prelims Question