Geography > Places in news > Places in news
Why in news?
- Recently, Burkina Faso announced an official end to the operations led by France in the country.
- France had signed a military agreement with Burkina Faso in 2018 to achieve stability against the threat of Islamist militant groups.
- France signed a series of similar agreements with other West African nations, including Mali who terminated the operation in late 2022.
About Burkina Faso:
- A former French colony, Burkina Faso has suffered chronic instability since gaining independence in 1960, including several coups.
- Since 2015, the country has been fighting an Islamist insurgency that spilled over from neighbouring Mali.
- In 2022 alone, it has witnessed two coups
- This has damaged the once important tourist industry.
Which of the following are landlocked countries in Africa
1. Burkina Faso
Which of the statements given above is/are correct?
(a) 1 and 3 only
(b) 2 and 4 only
(c) 1,2 and 4
(d) 3 and 4 only