2021 NOV 29
Disaster Management > Disasters > COVID 19
Why in news?
- An expert panel of India's Central Drug Authority, which recently reviewed Serum Institute's application seeking emergency authorisation of COVID-19 vaccine Covovax, has sought additional data from the firm, while noting the jab has not yet been approved in the country of origin.
- Covovax is the brand name of Novovax, a US-based biotechnology company’s COVID-19 vaccine candidate – officially known as NVX-Cov-2373.
- In India, SII has received this licence to manufacture and distribute the vaccine.
- The Serum Institute of India (SII) had put in an application to the Drugs Controller General of India (DCGI) in October,2021 for grant of market authorisation of Covovax for restricted use in emergency situation.
- Covovax is more stable and easily stored than mRNA vaccines, which will be helpful in broad distribution.
Consider the following statements:
1. COVOVAX is India's indigenous COVID-19 vaccine
2. COVISHIELD is a viral vector vaccine
3. COVAXIN is developed using Whole-Virion Inactivated Vero Cell derived platform technology
Which of the statements given above is/are correct?
(a) 1 and 2 only
(b) 2 and 3 only
(c) 3 only
(d) 1,2 and 3