2021 NOV 27
Disaster Management > Disasters > COVID 19
Why in news?
- The World Health Organisation (WHO) designated SARS-CoV-2 variant B.1.1529 (named as Omicron) as a ‘variant of concern’.
About Omicron Variant:
- This variant was first detected in Botswana region of South Africa on November 24, 2021.
- This variant has large number of mutations. Some of the mutations are concerning.
- Preliminary evidence shows that, there is an increased risk of reinfection with the detection of this variant, as compared to other Variants of concerns.
- This variant can be detected using SARS-CoV-2 PCR diagnostics, as of now.
- It has a ‘very unusual constellation of mutations’, that is, 32 in the spike protein alone. It can even infect fully vaccinated people.
WHO classification of Covid-19 variants
‘Omicron’, recently seen in news is associated with:
(a) Space exploration
(b) Covid 19 pandemic
(c) Extinct species