Science and Technology > IT & Computers > Artificial intelligence
Why in news?
- A senior engineer at Google claimed that the company’s artificial intelligence-based chatbot Language Model for Dialogue Applications (LaMDA) had become “sentient”.
Sentient vs Sapient
- The ability to feel or perceive things.
- Whales are highly sentient animals.
- Dogs usually show their sentient feature whenever they are happy.
- This is a significant feature for all human beings.
- Sapient is the ability to use your brain and think out ideas.
- It is also the ability to use intelligence, wisdom, and common sense in dealing with other people.
About Language Model for Dialogue Applications (LaMDA):
- Google had first announced LaMDA at its flagship developer conference I/O (Input/Output) in 2021 as its generative language model for the dialogue applications which can assure that the application will be able to converse on any topic.
- LaMDA can engage in a free-flowing way about a seemingly endless number of topics, an ability that the company thinks can unlock more natural ways of interacting with technology and the entirely new categories of helpful applications.
- LaMDA can have a discussion on the basis of the user’s inputs thanks completely to its language processing model which has been trained on large amounts of dialogue.
LaMDA, recently seen in news, is associated with:
(a) Space exploration
(b) Artificial Intelligence
(c) Digital economy
(d) Green energy