2023 AUG 14
Economic Development > Indian Economy and Issues > GI Tags
Why in news?
- Mushkbudji Rice received the Geographical Indication (GI) tag.
About Mushkbudji Rice:
- Mushkbudji Rice is short, bold aromatic rice grown in the higher reaches of Kashmir valley.
- The cooked rice is unique and possesses a harmonious blend of taste, aroma and rich organoleptic properties.
- The consumption of aromatic rice in Kashmir has now been limited to special occasions, marriages, and festivals.
- In 2007, the government announced a revival program of the Mushkbudji rice variety in Sagam village of Kokernag. This precious and aromatic variety had fallen out of cultivation in the 1970s due to blast disease.
GI tagged Mushkbudji Rice, recently seen in news, are generally grown in:
(a) Jammu and Kashmir
(b) Himachal Pradesh
(c) Andhra Pradesh