GI tag to three products from Tamil Nadu
2023 AUG 3
Economic Development > Miscellaneous > GI Tags
Why in news?
- The Geographical Indications Registry has granted the GI tag to three famous products from Tamil Nadu.
About Jaderi namakatti:
- These are clay sticks that are white in colour. They are usually available in finger-like shape with a smooth texture.
- They are used to adorn the foreheads of idols, men and temple elephants.
- The namakatti is made up of the rich deposit of hydrous silicate minerals that form fine grain particles of clay, and then the clay is processed and shaped in a finger-like structure.
- The production of namakatti depends on the climatic condition as it needs a lot of sunlight to dry.
Kanniyakumari Matti banana:
- Matti banana is a traditional table banana cultivar of medicinal value.
- The fruit is highly fragrant, sweet with sub-acid flavour, firm texture and powdery nature.
- The Matti banana fruit looks like the mouth of a crocodile hence it is also called ‘Crocodile Finger Banana’.
- It is a handloom saree which depicts the Chedibutta design in art silk and cotton mix fabric.
- The iconic ‘plant and flower’ motif is woven on the border and pallu (edge of the saree).
- The Sowrashtra communities are the primary weavers.
Which of the following has/have been accorded ‘Geographical Indication’ status?
1. Jaderi namakatti
2. Kanniyakumari Matti banana
3. Chedibutta Saree
Select the correct answer using the code given below:
(a) 1 only
(b) 2 and 3 only
(c) 1 and 3 only
(d) 1, 2 and 3