2023 AUG 3
Geography > Dams and reservoirs > Dams and reservoirs
Why in news?
- The over release of water from the Hathnikund barrage is causing flooding in the national capital, New Delhi.
About Hathnikund Barrage:
Dam v/s Barrage:
A barrage regulates the diversion of river water as per demands in canals.
A dam collects water, especially to make a reservoir.
- The Hathnikund is a barrage on the river Yamuna.
- The Hathnikund barrage’s main function is to divert Yamuna’s water to the canals.
- The barrage is located on the UP-Haryana border with the left side maintained by the UP government and the right by Haryana. The water management is, however, managed entirely by Haryana.
- The water from Hathnikund barrage is supplied to three channels.
- Regulating authority:
- Water regulation through Hathinikund barrage is regulated by the Upper Yamuna River Board.
- The board has representatives of all riparian stakeholders of the river - Himachal Pradesh, Haryana, Delhi, Uttar Pradesh, and Rajasthan.
- Every state gets the share of the water as agreed upon the agreement signed on May 12, 1994 between the states.
Hathnikund is a barrage on the river: