Devika River and Project Devika
2023 AUG 7
Geography > Dams and reservoirs > Dams and reservoirs
Why in news?
- The Union Minister has said that North India’s first River Rejuvenation Project Devika is nearing completion.
What is Project Devika?
- Project Devika aims to rejuvenate Devika River. It is North India’s first river rejuvenation project.
- It was launched in 2019 under the National River Conservation Plan (NRCP).
- Under the project, bathing “ghats” (places) on the banks of the Devika River will be developed, encroachments will be removed, natural water bodies will be restored and catchment areas will be developed along with cremation ground.
- On completion of the project, the rivers will see reduction in pollution and improvement in water quality.
What is River Devika?
- Devika river originates from the hilly Suddha Mahadev temple of Jammu and Kashmir and flows down towards western Punjab (now in Pakistan) where it merges with the Ravi river.
- The river holds religious significance as it is revered by Hindus as the sister of river Ganga.
- In 2020, Devika Bridge was inaugurated in Udhampur. Apart from taking care of traffic congestion, the Devika Bridge was also meant to help smooth passage of Army convoys and vehicles.
‘Project Devika’, North India’s first river rejuvenation project, was recently in news. The river Devika is a tributary of: