Kalasa-Banduri Nala Project
2023 JUN 26
Geography > Dams and reservoirs > Dams and reservoirs
Why in news?
- Despite opposition from Goa, Karnataka Water Resources minister Govind Karjol announced that the state will proceed with the Kalasa-Banduri project on the River Mahadayi.
About Kalasa-Banduri Nala Project:
- It is undertaken by the Government of Karnataka to improve drinking water supply to the three districts of Belagavi, Dharwad, and Gadag.
- It involves building across Kalasa and Banduri, two tributaries of the Mahadayi river to divert water to the Malaprabha river (a tributary of Krishna river).
- Malaprabha river supplies the drinking water to Dharwad, Belgaum, and Gadag districts.
- Kalasa-Banduri project was planned in 1989; Goa raised an objection to it.
- The Mahadayi Water Disputes Tribunal was set up in 2010. Goa, Karnataka and Maharashtra are parties to the tribunal.
About Mahadayi River:
- Mahadayi or Mhadei, the west-flowing river, originates in Bhimgad Wildlife Sanctuary (Western Ghats) of Karnataka.
- It is essentially a rain-fed river also called Mandovi in Goa.
- It is joined by a number of streams to form the Mandovi which is one of two major rivers (the other one is Zuari river) that flows through Goa.
- The river travels 35 km in Karnataka; 82 km in Goa before joining the Arabian Sea
Consider the following states in India:
4. Tamil Nadu
Mahadayi river flows flow through how many of the states given above?
(a) Only one
(b) Only two
(c) Only three
(d) All three