Subansiri Dam project
2023 APR 7
Geography > Dams and reservoirs > Dams and reservoirs
Why in news?
- The contentious Subansiri Lower Dam project on the Assam-Arunachal border was hit by a landslide recently during pre-monsoon rain in the region.
- However the National Hydro-Electric Power Corporation (NHPC), however, said it is “on target” to begin operations in the project by June 2023.
About Subansiri Dam project:
- It is the biggest hydroelectric project undertaken in India so far.
- It is a run-of-river scheme on river Subansiri.
- The Project is located near North Lakhimpur on the border of Arunachal Pradesh and Assam.
- It is a concrete gravity dam 116 m high from river bed level.
- It is being developed by the state-run National Hydro Power Corporation (NHPC).
About Subansiri River:
- It originates in the Tibet Plateau and is the largest tributary of the Brahmaputra River. It flows through the states of Arunachal Pradesh and Assam.
- The high topographic variation makes this river a potential zone for harnessing it for the hydropower
Consider the following statements:
1. It originates in the Tibet Plateau
2. It is the largest tributary of the Brahmaputra River.
3. It flows at-least three states of India.
Which of the statements given above is/are correct?
(a) 1 and 2 only
(b) 2 only
(c) 1 and 3 only
(d) 1,2 and 3