Scheme for Economic Empowerment of DNTs (SEED)
Social Justice > Welfare Schemes > Tribal affairs
Why in news?
- The scheme for Economic Empowerment of DNTs (SEED) for the welfare of De-notified, Nomadic and Semi Nomadic Communities, has been delayed due to tribe categorization work
Who are de-notified, nomadic and semi-nomadic tribes?
- They are communities that were ‘notified’ as being ‘born criminals’ during the British regime under a series of laws starting with the Criminal Tribes Act of 1871.
- This law was repealed and these communities became ‘De-Notified’.
- The Renke commission (2006) estimated their population at around 10.74 crores ( remember as nearly 11 Cr) based on Census 2001.
- 1262 communities have been identified as de-notified, nomadic and semi-nomadic.
- It is being implemented through an online portal (from 2021 to 2026) and would issue a unique ID to each applicant. But delay in the categorization of 1262 tribes is delaying the implementation of the scheme.
- Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment is implementing this umbrella scheme for empowerment
Scheme for Economic Empowerment of De-notified, nomadic and semi-nomadic tribes (SEED) is an umbrella scheme implemented by:
(a) Ministry of Tribal Affairs
(b) Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment
(c) Ministry of Skill Development and Entrepreneurship
(d) Ministry of Rural Development