Swachh Survekshan Report 2021
Social Justice > Miscellaneous > Reports and indices
Why in news?
- 6th edition of Swachh Survekshan Report was released recently.
About Swachh Survekshan Report:
- Swachh Survekshan is an annual survey of cleanliness, hygiene and sanitation in cities and towns across India.
- It was launched as part of the Swachh Bharat Abhiyan, which aimed to make India clean and free of open defecation by 2nd October 2019.
- The first survey was undertaken in 2016 and covered 73 cities; by 2020 the survey had grown to cover 4242 cities and was said to be the largest cleanliness survey in the world.
- Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs (MoHUA) conducts the sixth edition of the survey to rank all cities under Swachh Bharat Mission-Urban (SBM-U) with Quality Council of India (QCI) as its implementation partner.
Findings of the 2021 report:
- Madhya Pradesh's Indore has been declared as India's cleanest city for the fifth time in a row and is crowned with the 'Swachhata Ka Taaj’
- Gujarat’s Surat and Andhra Pradesh's Vijaywada docked at the second and third spot respectively.
- Chhattisgarh has been ranked as the cleanest state in the country.
- Varanasi received the first position in the cleanest Ganga town category.
Consider the following statements regarding 'Swachh Survekshan Report':
1. Swachh Survekshan is an annual survey of cleanliness, hygiene and sanitation in cities and towns across India.
2. Indore has been declared as India's cleanest city for last five years.
Which of the statements given above is/are correct?
(a) 1 only
(b) 2 only
(c) Both 1 and 2
(d) Neither 1 nor 2