2023 SEP 12
International Relations > Regional groupings > International groupings
Why in news?
- The African Union (AU) has been admitted as a new member of the G20.
- This development took place at the ongoing 18th G20 Heads of State and Government Summit in New Delhi.
About African Union (AU):
- The African Union (AU) is a continental body consisting of the 55 member states that make up the countries of the African Continent.
- In 1963, the Organization of African Unity was founded by the independent states of Africa. The organization aimed to promote cooperation between African states.
- The 1980 Lagos Plan of Action was adopted by the Organization of African Unity. The plan suggested that Africa should minimize reliance upon the West by promoting intra-African trade.
- In 2002, the Organization of African Unity was succeeded by the African Union, which had as one of its goals to accelerate the "economic integration of the continent”.
Consider the following statements regarding ‘African Union (AU)’:
1. One of its stated objectives is to minimize reliance upon the West by promoting intra-African trade
2. It is formed immediately after First World War
Which of the statements given above is/are correct?
(a) 1 only
(b) 2 only
(c) Both 1 and 2
(d) Neither 1 nor 2