2023 SEP 12
Geography > Places in news > Places in news
Why in news?
- India’s Prime Minister Narendra Modi has announced the opening of an Indian embassy in Dili, the capital city of Timor-Leste, during the 20th ASEAN-India Summit in Jakarta.
- Timor leste is a Southeast Asian nation occupying half the island of Timor and is ringed by coral reefs teeming with marine life.
- It comprises the eastern half of the island of Timor, of which the western half is administered by Indonesia, the exclave of Oecusse on the island’s north-western half, and the minor islands of Atauro and Jaco.
- Australia is the country’s southern neighbour, separated by the Timor Sea
- Timor-Leste was a Portuguese colony until 1975, followed by Indonesian rule after the conflict.
- In 1999, it gained independence through a UN-sponsored act and became the 1st sovereign state of the 21st century (in 2002)
Timor sea, discussed in news, is located in:
(a) Indian Ocean
(b) Pacific Ocean
(c) Atlantic Ocean
(d) Arctic Ocean