Geography > Dams and reservoirs > Dams and reservoirs
Why in news?
- The Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs Wednesday approved Kwar Hydro Electric Project located on river Chenab, in Kishtwar district of Jammu and Kashmir.
About Chenab river:
- The Chenab originates from near the Bara Lacha Pass in the Lahul-Spiti part of the Zaskar Range, in Himachal Pradesh.
- Two small streams on opposite sides of the pass, namely Chandra and Bhaga, form its headwaters at an altitude of 4,900 m.
- Chenab flows through the Jammu region of Jammu and Kashmir into the plains of Punjab (Pakistan) .
- Through the plains of Pakistani Punjab >> it joins the Satluj after receiving the waters of Jhelum and Ravi rivers >> before ultimately flowing into the Indus River.
Under Indus Waters Treaty:
- The waters of the Chenab were allocated to Pakistan under the terms of the Indus Waters Treaty.
- India is allowed non-consumptive uses such as power generation
- Baglihar Dam - Jammu and Kashmir
- Salal Dam - Jammu and Kashmir
- Dul Hasti - Jammu and Kashmir
Consider the following statements:
1. Chenab River flows through Kashmir valley
2. The waters of the Chenab were allocated to Pakistan under the terms of the Indus Waters Treaty
Which of the statements given above is/are correct?
(a) 1 only
(b) 2 only
(c) Both 1 and 2
(d) Neither 1 nor 2
Answer – B