National Health Agency
Polity > Institutions/Bodies > Regulatory bodies
- It succeeded the National Health Agency which was created through an executive order of the cabinet, for better implementation of Pradhan Mantri Jan Arogya Yojana (PM-JAY).
- National Health Agency was reconstituted as the National Health Authority on 2nd January 2019 by a cabinet resolution.
Structure of NHA
- The NHA is governed by a Governing Board chaired by the union minister for Health and Family Welfare, Government of India.
- It is headed by a full-time Chief Executive Officer (CEO) supported by Addl. CEO, Dy. CEO and Executive Directors.
- The CEO of the NHA functions as the Member Secretary of the Governing Board.
Functions of NHA
- NHA will be responsible for PM-JAY’s operational guidelines, fixing the ceiling of premium amounts, and developing mechanisms for strategic purchase of healthcare from the private sector.
- It is also tasked with Building a state-of-the-art health information technology ecosystem, and working with the Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority.
About PM-JAY (Ayushman Bharat)
- PM-JAY is being described as the world’s largest health insurance scheme.
- It is a cashless and paperless access to health services up to Rs. 5 lakhs per year to poor and vulnerable people identified as per the socio-economic caste census.
Consider the following statements regarding National health authority:
1.It will be responsible for implementation of Pradhan Mantri Jan Arogya Yojana (PM-JAY).
2.It is a statutory body created through an act of parliament.
Which among the above statements is/are correct?
(c)Both 1 and 2
(d)Neither 1 nor 2
Answer to prelims question