Ettikoppaka Toy craft
Art and Culture > Miscellaneous > handicrafts
Why in news?
- The Union Government announced to confer Padma Shri to C.V Raju, an Etikoppaka wooden toy craft artists.
About Ettikoppaka Toy craft:
- These are traditional toys of Andhra Pradesh
- These traditional toys are made by artisans in Etikoppaka village located on banks of river Varaha in Visakhapatnam district.
- They are provided GI Tag.
- The art of making traditional wooden Etikoppaka toys is more than 400 years old and it has been traditionally handed over to them by their ancestors through generations.
- The art of this toy making is also known as turned wood Lacquer craft.
- They are made of wood and painted with natural dyes.
- The wood used is from ‘Ankudi Karra’ (Wrightia tinctoria) tree that is soft in nature.
- The natural dyes are prepared from seeds, lacquer, bark, roots and leaves.
- These dynes are unique as they do not have heavy metal or toxic content in it.
Ettikoppaka Toy craft is traditionally associated with which of the following state in India?
(a) Tamil Nadu
(d) Andhra Pradesh