2023 APR 21
Art and Culture > Architecture > Temple architecture
Why in news?
- Assam Government is planning to construct a corridor at the Kamakhya Temple in Guwahati on the lines of the Kashi-Vishwanath Temple Corridor in Varanasi
About Kamakhya Temple:
- The Kamakhya temple is located in Assam.
- Also known as Siddha Kubjika, its deity is a Hindu tantric goddess of desire who evolved in the Himalayan hills. She is also identified as Kali and Maha Tripura.
- Ambubachi Mela is a four-day fair which is organized to mark the menstrual cycle of the goddess of Kamakhya.
- The festival is also known as ‘Mahakumbh of the East’ as it draws lakhs of devotees from all over the world
- It is one of the temples preserved and protected under PRASAD scheme of government of India.
Kamakhya temple is located in the state of: