2023 APR 28
Art and Culture > Architecture > Temple architecture
Why in news?
- Recently, the Indian National Trust for Art and Cultural Heritage (INTACH) has urged the government to conserve the 600-year-old ‘Vilakkumadom’, at the Sree Mahavishnu Temple at Thirunelli, Kerala.
More about the news:
- The 600-year-old Vilakkumadom structure, made of exquisite granite, is located at the Sree Mahavishnu Temple in Thirunelly, Wayanad district.
- The ongoing renovation of the temple has raised concerns about the preservation of its heritage.
- The structure has a rich history dating back to the 15th century AD, and its key elements have not been given due consideration during the renovation process.
About Thirunelli Temple:
- Thirunelli Temple, also known as Amalaka or Sidha Temple, is a Vishnu temple in Wayanad district, Kerala.
- The temple gets its name from an idol of Lord Vishnu resting on an amla tree in a valley, which was discovered by Lord Brahma while circling the globe.
- Thirunelli temple's architecture follows the traditional Kerala style.
- The temple has an inner sanctorum, surrounded by a tile roof structure, and an open courtyard around it.
- The east entrance of the temple is decorated with a granite lamp post. The outer wall of the temple is bound by granite pillars that are cut in cubicle style, which is not commonly seen in Kerala.
Consider the following pairs:
1. Thirunelli Temple : Tamil Nadu
2. Kamakhya temple : Assam
3. Shri Ambabai Mahalakshmi Temple : Maharashtra
Which of the statements given above is/are correct?
(a) 1 and 3 only
(b) 2 and 3 only
(c) 1 and 2 only
(d) 1,2 and 3